Progresso isn't a very developed city. It is a new port for Carnival after the hurricane season destroyed some of their more popular ports.
Progresso is close to a number of Mayan Ruin sites. The six of us (mom, dad, nathan, heather, jason, and I) all rented a taxi and went to Dzibilchaltun (tzee-BEEL-chahl-toon).
Since we pay extra to get the guided tour... we don't know a whole lot more than we did- I believe the structure above is called 7 dolls. But 4 times a year the the sun lines up directly with that door way in the center of the building and it looks amazing. We missed that by about a week. :(
http://www.yucatantoday.com/destinations/eng-dzibilchaltun.htm
Has a picture of the sun setting on the 7 dolls.
The other thing wonderful about this particular excavation site is that they found a natural watering hole. On one end it is shallow, mom and I waded in it
The other end is over 100 feet deep, with a tunnel. They have found broken pottery pieces and even bones in this tunnel.
Then the heat got to everyone else and we all jumped in the deep end and cooled off!
We had a lot of fun and enjoyed a family vacation like no other!
1 comment:
I am so happy to hear it! :) I'll bet the sun coming through that is so amazing. Too bad you missed it. :( Poo. Maybe another time! Love you!
Post a Comment